Dividing fences

If you wish to install a dividing fence, or have work done on an existing dividing fence, you must discuss this with the owner of the adjoining property. The Dividing Fences Act 1991 outlines how the cost of a dividing fence is shared between land owners and sets out the minimum requirements for sufficient fencing.

If you are having difficulty reaching agreement with your neighbour over a dividing fence, the Community Justice Centre provides free mediation service and may be able to help, ph 1800 990 777. Council does not get involved in disputes between neighbours over dividing fences.

The approval requirements for boundary fences are contained within the NSW State Environmental Planning Policy Exempt and Complying Development Code 2008. Some fences will require a Development Application to Council. To check if you require a Development Application for a new fence, please contact our Building Services section on 6686 1415.



Connect with us

Postal Address

The General Manager
Ballina Shire Council
PO Box 450
Ballina NSW 2478

View more contacts

40 Cherry Street
Ballina NSW 2478


Opening Hours

8:15am - 4:30pm

Monday to Friday