4WD Beach Access
Before taking your 4WD on to Seven Mile Beach you need to purchase a beach access permit.
Purchasing a beach access permit
Users can pay:
- At the automated kiosk located opposite the Lennox Head Surf Club approaching Camp Drewe Road.
- Before they arrive via the EasyPark App
Download the app before accessing the beach, enter the location code (Seven Mile Beach is 402021), your registration number and choose your permit and payment option. For more information visit easypark.com.au or telephone 1300 734 070.
Payment by Visa/Mastercard credit or debit card.
2019/20 fees are as follows:
- 1 day permit $15
- 30 day permit $45
- 6 month permit $65
- Annual Permit $110
Note: fees are reviewed each financial year.
Beach access permits
- Beach permits should be retained in vehicles as proof of purchase.
- Only the vehicle nominated on the permit can access and drive on the beach.
- Permits are not transferable between vehicles, one permit per vehicle is issued. Registration details will be recorded on the permit and on an electronic database.
- However if a vehicle is sold, beach permits can be transferred to a newly purchased vehicle. In this instance, email council the old and new registration papers.
Safety and speed limits
To ensure the safety of other beach users please:
- Stay within the 30km/h speed limit.
- Slow down to 15km/h when within 50 metres of pedestrians and other beach users. Pedestrians have right of way over vehicles at all times.
- All vehicles must be registered with a state road authority.
- The permit holder must have a provisional or full drivers licence, issued by a relevant state authority.
- Vehicles must not be driven when under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs.
- All passengers must be wearing seat belts. Riding in the rear of utilities or in a similar unrestrained manner is not permitted.
- Drive only on the beach specified by the permit.
- Towing of tyres or other implements for recreational purposes is not permitted.
- Towing of boat trailers to launch boats within the designated 4WD area at Seven Mile Beach, Lennox Head is permitted.
Other responsibilities of vehicle users
- Drive vehicles on and off the beach at the designated 4WD beach access point.
- Drive on firm sand below the hide tide mark, except when travelling to and from the beach at the designated public 4WD access point.
- Drive and park at least 10 metres from vegetated dunes, except when travelling to and from the designated 4WD access point.
- Vehicles are not permitted on frontal dunes or foreshore areas other than the 4WD access areas shown below.
- Park at least 20 metres from the access point and dune tracks.
- Drive on the beach north of the designated 4WD access area and south of Byron Shire boundary (3.3km to the north).
- Take rubbish with you and be respectful of other beach users.
- Observe other beach regulations relating to dogs, horses and water use activities.
Permitted access area
Protection of sand dunes
The permit system promotes responsible off-road vehicle use and encourages environmental awareness from permit holders.
The sand dunes and vegetation are an important part of the beach ecosystem and are subject to the natural cycles of wave and wind and can be easily damaged by human activity.
The beach access-ways are protected by board and chain or equivalent surface to prevent dune lowering, development of blowouts and damage to adjoining vegetation.
To help protect the beach environment and habitat please:
- During and after heavy seas, travel may be impossible at high tide. The beach may be closed until sand returns and an adequate beach width is restored.
- During extreme storm events, access to beaches may be severely eroded. High tide leaves no room for error. Keep current tide charts in the vehicle.
- During and after flood events, debris may restrict vehicle access and make driving unsafe. The beach may be closed until debris is cleared and the beach is safe for vehicles.
- Occasionally 4WD beach access track maintenance will be required and the track may be closed for any length of time without notice.
- If Seven Mile Beach is closed due to a storm event or track maintenance, council cannot issue refunds for the time that the beach cannot be used.
Vehicles left unattended
Vehicle or trailers left unattended must not compromise access of other beach users.
No vehicle is to be driven or parked within 10 metres of the dunes.
Council reserves the right to withdraw permits from vehicles where it is determined by an Authorised Officer that there has been a breach of the 4WD Vehicles on Seven Mile Beach Policy.
Authorised Officers could be representatives from:
- NSW Police Force.
- Ballina Shire Council.
- Marine Park Rangers under the Marine Parks Act 1997.
On-the-spot fines exceeding $110 to $1,100 may be issued for breaches.
Report malicious damage and illegal incidents to Council Rangers on 6686 1210 (business hours), 6626 6954 (after hours) or Ballina Police on 000.
- 4WD Beach Permit Seven Mile Beach Lennox Head Policy (pdf)
- Brochure - 4WD Vehicles on Seven Mile Beach Lennox Head (pdf)
Council Rangers Phone 02 6686 4444 or email firstname.lastname@example.org